Legal Advice and Services Centre (Legal Aid)
Eligibility and Services
The following services are provided at the office:
- PROBATE & SUCCESSION MATTERS;
- FAMILY MATTERS at the Family Court and the Supreme Court;
- CRIMINAL MATTERS in the Magistrate’s Court and the Supreme Court with the exception of murder which has to be assigned by the Court;
- CIVIL MATTERS in the Supreme Court and the Magistrate Court;
- TRAFFIC MATTERS;
- DRAFTING OF DOCUMENTS such as agreements, contract, powers of attorneys; and
- LAND MATTERS.
The Centre charges fees for its services, on a set scale. The maximum fees are substantially below what would be charged in private practice and fees are sometimes waived for the very poor or indigent. Questions are posed to Clients in order to determine their financial capacity and qualification for legal aid services.
There are currently two offices – a general office in Belize City and a district office in Orange Walk Town.
There is currently a consultation fee of $50.00 to see an attorney. Such fee will only be waived in extreme cases.
Appointments and Accessibility
Appointments can be done through the contact information provided below. However, Clients can be dealt with by simply walking into the office.
Contact the Legal Advice and Services Centre
Belize City Office (General Office)
Address: 28A Regent Street
Belize City, Belize
Tel: +(501) 227-3442/ 227-3444/ 207-2991
Fax: +(501) 227-0581
Orange Walk Office (District Office)
Address: Corner of Baker Street
Orange Walk Town, Belize
Tel: +(501) 322-3685